help center

Do I need to have a license to operate excavators or other civil equipment?

Specific licenses are not required for operating an excavator or other civil equipment however you must be trained to use it safely and competently.

If you are operating on the road you will need a special license and endorsement to do so. You must have a license for the appropriate weight and an endorsement to operate construction machinery on wheels, rollers or tracks (WRT).

You should always have a spotter when using heavy machinery.